Mar 17 2010

Donna Farmer

Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 9:52 pm · ·

The first time I met Chilton, I was so moved I felt I should give him something as he’d given me so much. I took off my ring that spelled out ELVIS in rhinestones. I loved the thing and he looked puzzled, but it had to be done. Probably ended up in a trash can, but like Replacements, Al Green, and many others, those that make the music that etches into your life deserve a personal thanks.
Thanks, Alex Chilton, you moved me.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm · ·

That is an awesome story!

Thu Mar 18, 2010 at 2:19 am · ·

The place I work at was sponsoring the Big Star show in Austin this weekend. Very surreal.

Dave Lifton

Thu Mar 18, 2010 at 10:45 am · ·

My tribute to Chilton can be found here:

• Pingback: Children by the Million Wait for Alex Chilton « Happy Valley News Hour

• Pam

Thu Mar 18, 2010 at 6:51 pm · ·

I spent a cool evening with Alex in the early ’90s when he was playing a gig at the Knitting Factory in Soho. At that time the owners lived in a large apartment above the club & so did a friend of mine who worked for them. We stayed up most of the night talking, playing, enjoying cocktails, food & some herbal refreshment. I ended up falling asleep in the bedroom they kept for visiting artists. I woke up around noon with everyone gone except Alex, who was snoring lightly on the sofa in the great room. I thought this was a very sweet, gentlemanly thing to do, not kicking me out of his rightful bed. No diva he. I’ll always remember his kindness & wit.

DOm

Sat Mar 20, 2010 at 3:14 am · ·

So weird… Last night I listened to ‘Please to Meet Me’ all the way through for the first time in like, 5 years? Number 2, such a great tribute. Thank you Alex and thank you Westerberg, T. Stinson, C. Mars.

erik

Sat Mar 20, 2010 at 8:38 am · ·

a huge loss for the music world…Not to steal any thunder from this site, but there is some interesting info on “man without ties” page…a great comment/response from westerberg, news regarding Chilton, and an upcoming interview with Paul in Spin

Al M

Sat Mar 20, 2010 at 11:57 am · ·

When Chilton played First Avene in the early eighties, a friend of mine who drummed for that show let me in on a secret: CBS music put out a shitty little cassette called “60′s Top Vocal Greats (BT15880) in 1981 that had re-recorded version of old hits. The Box Tops are represented by The Letter and Cry Like A Baby, which Chilton sings in his 1981 voice. Not a tremendously inspired performance (as you could guess), but it was a cool find for a Big Star fan at the time.

I was one of the lucky ones in that I heard about Radio City when it first came out via multiple positive articles in ‘Stereo Review’ of all places. Thank you Alex for turning my head around with your music.

• Pingback: Music Download » Alex Chilton, Big Star: Musicians By The Million Mourn For Alex Chilton

• Shirly Denherder

Tue May 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm · ·

Hey there excellent website! Does running a blog such as this take a massive amount work? I’ve very little expertise in coding however I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyway, if you have any recommendations or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off topic however I simply had to ask. Thanks a lot!

Where You Gonna See The 'Mats?

Comments