Aug 26 2008

As reported in the comments down below, it seems as though one-time Replacements/ drummer Steve Foley has died. MPR’s 89.3 The Current is reporting the death on their site, though I can’t seem to find anything on the Strib or PiPress. I am sure it’s only a matter of hours before more information is released and tributes start rolling in from around the Twin Cities.

I’ll keep you updated.

UPDATE #1: The forums at Velvet Rope have a post about Foley’s death and an e-mail from Jim Walsh.

UPDATE #2: A friend of Steve’s said the cause of death was an accidental overdose. So sad.

UPDATE #3: Steve Foley’s sister thanks Westernerds for their condolences.

Tags: , ,

Jimdracula

Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 4:01 pm · ·

Such a talented musician…my deepest sympathies to his family. Jodi, today’s song selection is fitting…

Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 4:03 pm · ·

Eerily prescient so it seems. Can’t say I had the pleasure of knowing Steve Foley, though I know a lot of people who did. My condolences go out to all his loved ones.

Joe and Kriss

Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 8:25 pm · ·

My wife Kriss worked with Steve and Friday is the day that it appears he passed away from an accidental overdose. It was not a suicide as far as anyone can tell and Steve was in good spirits on Thursday and Friday was acting odd and left work early. On Monday morning his car was still at work so a couple of co-workers went to his house to check on him and found him on the couch. He will be sadly missed and was a great person and friend. Our sympathy to his sister and brother and any other family. LuLu his dog has been adopted by his neighbor. Rest in peace

Colleen Foley

Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 9:18 pm · ·

Thanks Joe and Kriss for getting the word out about what happened to Steve. I’ve had so many phone calls as word has gotten out. I just started to check out the web after spending the day planning his funeral. It is so heartening to see the warm wishes and condolences. We, his family are devastated as are so many of his great friends, and the support is the ray of light in this stupid loss of a great brother and friend. Services will be on Friday.
Colleen Foley

Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 9:21 pm · ·

Colleen, you can be sure that the entire ‘Mats community is sending you and your family condolences and are really, very sorry for your loss.

Joe and Kriss

Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 9:35 pm · ·

Colleen,
Thanks for the comment we didn’t want people to speculate or get the wrong ideas about what happened to Steve. He was to good of friend to my wife. They spent alot of time talking about life while at work. He meant alot to her.

• Pingback: Just so you know a few things before I go to bed | I Will Dare

• Danny Amis

Wed Aug 27, 2008 at 7:27 pm · ·

I just heard the sad news. Steve was the drummer in my first band, The Overtones. I believe it was Steve’s first band as well. It’s hard to say whether or not I would’ve gotten my start in music without him, or how differently it would have been, but we definitely started together. He was a wonderful guy that could always be counted on. He will be greatly missed. I will always remember him.
    Be at peace Steve.
    Danny Amis

bo bby mcfarlin

Wed Sep 3, 2008 at 11:29 pm · ·

i couldnt believe it when i read it – i knew steve on the music scene in mpls. for many years – first met him through peter lack i think- cant be sure cause its been so long.someone wrote that its always good to run into steve foley – that is as true as the sun is bright …..i will miss him …..i hate that when people die …..i cant accept it …..i hope his family can –god bless us all

Rodney C. Cash

Thu Sep 4, 2008 at 11:43 pm · ·

Such sad news…..My deepest sympathies to all family and friends. I was a huge admirer of Steves talents as a musician.
    sincerely,
    R.c.C

Lizzie Foley

Fri Aug 12, 2011 at 8:03 pm · ·

Three years on the 25th and I am still crying.

Colleen Foley

Fri Aug 12, 2011 at 11:12 pm · ·

It was good to come back to this site today and read and remember. Miss the guy terribly, miss the music, miss the fun.

Where You Gonna See The 'Mats?

Comments