Aug 15 2008

Hey Gang, first of all remember how I was telling you the other day to go read David Carr’s The Night of the Gun? Well, I am going to up that another notch and encourage you to go see him read if at all possible. His appearance schedule is here (VT, NH, Seattle, LA, DC, etc, oh and St. Paul on Monday August 18th).

I went to go hear him read last night (and got a bonus Q&A with Jim Walsh to boot). It was fabulous.He is a kind, gracious, charming, and entertaining man. I was amazed how he got up and shook the hand of every single person waiting in line. It was a great time.

Oh and then when I got my book signed I got to crush David Carr’s dreams about how Paul Westerberg mentioned his book on the blog. Westernerds, he was so excited. The look in his eye was five-year-old getting a bike for Christmas excited. And then I was like, “Uh, that was me.”

We can add this to the list of phrases I never expected to utter in actual real life with my own voice: “I’m not Paul Westerberg.

Second of all, Imemat has done all the heavy lifting with regard to that 1982 show and converting the files to MP3. Go download than and while you’re there check out the response he got to the only fan letter he’s ever gotten.

Third of all, Aquarium Drunkard has a great, great write up on 5:05.

Tags: ,

Matt

Fri Aug 15, 2008 at 11:10 pm · ·

Thanks for the shout-out, Paul.

hee!

blasty

Sat Aug 16, 2008 at 8:51 am · ·

Like I said on the forum….

If yer not PW, how do you explain this:

blasty

Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 11:16 am · ·

I thought so….

jay

Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 5:50 pm · ·

Rock Band 2 song number 74: Alex Chilton.
Virtual Westerberg here I come….

a.dub

Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 7:57 pm · ·

Here’s my write-up on 5:05!

After Amazon.com (US downloads) and Tunecore (International downloads) dropped Paul Westerberg’s recent, 43 minute and 55 second-long MP3 release 49 Minutes for what’s suspected to be copyright infringement on a classic rock covers medley Westerberg included on the album, the man did what any self-respecting mid-western punk troubadour would do. He spewed out the album’s delinquent ending in response. 5:05 opens with a chipmunk-voiced preamble from Adolf Hitler, likely a jab directed at the record industry execs (or artists) who stepped in to squash 49 Minutes. (The song ends with a healthy dosage of “fuck you, fuck you.”) In 5:05’s chorus, 48-year-old Westerberg pleads in-their-face defiance on all counts: “If you wanna sue me, can’t see through me/Bring on a lawsuit, I’ll bring a swimsuit/All you girls and guys/Join the 5:05.” Consider it a movement. As a ground-breaking post-punk college rock icon from the 1980s, Westerberg was largely considered out-to-pasture by the ‘90s. After a series of challenging releases in the ‘00s, however, it soundss as though the cows is coming home to roost. Join the 5:05 today./

shelaka

Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 8:31 am · ·

Well said, a-dub! Don’t know if anybody mentioned this one -great comments on 5:05 here:

Jimdracula

Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 1:24 pm · ·

Never heard of it…any good?

RJ

Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 3:32 pm · ·

Ask your “sister”

Jimdracula

Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 5:31 pm · ·

Pump your brakes “RJ”, I got 3…& a brother. He may know you from another board, I’ll ask.

jay

Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 9:23 pm · ·

“Pump your brakes” is my new saying of the week. Thanks Jim…

Jimdracula

Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm · ·

You’re welcome Jay…just throw money (no change)

Comments